Monday, February 28, 2011

Day Fifty-Seven: Georgia's Birthday Card



I finished my birthday card for Georgia today, and I'm really happy with it. I wish I could be there when she opens it! It is made from felt, and embroidered and beaded, then attached to a deckled-edge blank card with small velcro dots. I inserted a lighter weight paper on the inside for my message to Georgia.
Georgia Rettmer, who turns 80 on March 4, is a very talented artist who, with her daughter Kimberly Rhinehart, started a greeting card company about twenty years ago, called it takes two http://www.ittakestwo.com/. While Georgia concentrated on her unique style of hand-dyed cut and torn paper, Kimberly wrote the verses to complement her mother's images. Lest anyone think that writing verse is easier than creating images, I beg to differ! I've done a lot of artwork for it takes two, but I've never come up with anything that even comes close to Kimberly's sensitive and beautifully expressive messages. She has a true gift.
It was good to be making a bird for someone else. Part of my intent with the 365 Birds Project is to challenge myself to make as many different kinds of projects as I can think of, and to reach out to a wide audience. This birthday card was the perfect assignment, and knowing it is going to such a talented artist and lovely woman, made it a pleasure to work on from start to finish.
Happy Birthday, Georgia!
Peggy




Peggy




No comments:

Post a Comment