Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day Thirty-Eight: A Valentine Bird


I know it's only February 8, but I thought I'd start designing a bird for Valentine's Day. This is my first idea. I've got a way to go!
I'm re-reading Charleen Kinser's seminal book on sewn sculpture, "Sewing Sculpture,"published in 1977 but still so relevant today. It's available used at http://www.abebooks.com/, my favorite place to buy inexpensively priced used books. Kinser's book is well-written and and elegantly designed. It contains an intriguing photograph, a delicate drawing, a well-executed diagram, or little gem of wisdom on every page. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in improving their design skills.
Kinser reminds me that "There are numerous frustrations built into this craft. You may as well develop the ability to laugh at yourself; your predicaments are bound to amuse someone."
Thanks, Charleen.
Back to the drawing board.
Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment