Friday, February 25, 2011

Day Fifty-Four: But Wait! There's More Sketchbook Birds!


OK, this really is my last day on this theme. I'm getting eager to work in color once again. But Giannetti had done some really wonderful birds with a brush and sumi ink, and I wanted to try my hand at that. I couldn't work in such a 'messy' medium at the hospital, but I'm back home now, so I thought I'd give it a try. Unfortunately, I didn't have any sumi ink, or rice paper, so I used some calligraphy ink (too thick, lots of shellac, and probably ruined my brush), and worked in my sketchbook (the paper wasn't absorbant enough and the ink dried too fast). But the immediacy of the process is interesting, if a bit scary, and I love the way the marks skitter across the paper as the ink begins to dry.
More experiments with the proper tools will no doubt appear at a later date.

Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment