Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day Forty-Nine: A Paper Bird


I wanted to make a three dimensional paper bird tonight, but I couldn't find one in any of my books, so I googled "Pop up Bird", and found this design at a site for children called Enchanted Learning, http://www.enchantedlearning.com/ It said this craft was appropriate for second and third graders, so I thought, "Hey, I can do this."
It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be, but it's a clever design and I think the beautiful papers from Paper Source http://www.paper-source.com/really make it shine. Check out their website, it's to die for.
I ran into difficulty when I tried to attach a string to hang the bird. I punched hole after hole, and still the bird dipped and swayed, listed and tilted from side to side and up and down. I had so many holes that I decided to add even more holes and make them a design element in the piece. Still the bird wouldn't hang the way I wanted it to, so I taped it to the mirror and propped it up in the corner, and took this shot before it nose-dived again.
I'm sure I must have made these birds when I was a kid, but I don't remember, so it was fun to do something that felt brand new.

Pablo Picasso famously said: "All children are artists, the problem is how to remain an artist when one grows up."
The problem indeed.
Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment