Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day Seventy-Three: An Origami Peacock




My friends Janneke and Grace came over yesterday to do origami with me. We tried this peacock without much success, so I thought I'd give it another go this afternoon. This photo shows my fourth attempt: it's a difficult form because so many folds have to converge on the same point. And it really requires two-sided paper, which I realized only after trying it a couple of times with one-sided paper.

Origami instructions are notorioulsy difficult to follow. It's not the translation issue, I don't think, but rather the very nature of the activity itself. The folds and creases, tucks and turns, can't really be described in words, nor are pictorial diagrams always sufficient. It's one of those things that someone has to show you. It's origins are very old, and yet its appeal is timeless.

Here, Peacock is hanging out with a couple of chums. Duckling is wearing a party hat, not because it's his birthday, but because a big hole was chewed on his head by one of the dogs, and I thought this would be more fun than a patch.
Peggy




No comments:

Post a Comment