Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day Twenty-One: Puffin Sketches

I drew these sketches from photos in an article about puffins that was in the July 2010 issue of the British edition of Country Living. Quentin and Alicia had the opportunity to visit the Farne Island last year, and they saw these wondrous little creatures up close.

To me, they look like they are made of black and white velveteen, with beautiful curves and markings, and the most wonderful beaded and bejeweled beaks. I can't wait to make my own little sculpted puffin sometime this year during The 365 Day Bird Project.

According to Country Living, "Puffins pair for life-- the oldest on the Farnes is 37--and return to the islands to meet their mate each breeding season."

I guess I'd better make two.
Peggy

You can read more about Puffins and the Farne Islands on David Steel's blog at http://www.farnephoto.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment