Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day Eighty-Eight: Fred the Cardinal


The pattern for this jaunty little guy comes from Eleaner Bruce, at http://www.thequirkycorncrib.etsy.com/.  I found it in my favorite book, which I've mentioned on this blog before:  Little Birds--26 Handmade Projects to Sew, Stitch, Quilt & Love.  I had to put my own spin on him, which included making his body and wings out of sewn and stuffed felt, but needlefelting a lot of the details.  My beaks always seem to come out huge, but in this case I like it.
I haven't done any needlefelting since way back in January, on Day Fourteen, when I complained that I found it tedious.  This time was much better, since I wasn't creating the entire form from needlefelting, but only adding the details.  I thoroughly enjoyed working the beak, eyes, and dark feathers with my felting needle and rovings.
Eleanor says this about Fred:  "Quite frankly, when your everyday is everyone else's Sunday best, you're bound to feel a little pleased with yourself." 
Well said, Eleanor.
We should all feel this good about the way we look.
Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment